We've taken a number of steps to make sure your vehicle is as safe as possible here in The District. All parking garages are equipped with security cameras and the Columbia Police Department regularly patrols public lots and garages. Still, there are an number of simple things you can do to prevent becoming a victim of vandalism.
- Lock your vehicle. Always lock car doors and windows when you exit a vehicle even for a few minutes.
- Secure your valuables. If you have purses, laptops, gym bags, cell phones or other items visible to passersby, your care can become a target. Keep any valuables in your glove box or trunk.
- Park in a different location every day. It's easy to get into a parking routine but making daily changes to your routine does help. Even if your parking permit limits you to one garage, park in different places every day.
- Take your keys with you. Don't leave your doors unlocked and your key in the ignition even if you think that cup of coffee will only take a minute.
- Always report break ins. For emergencies, 911 is best. The non-emergency number (442-6131) is best for other problems. This number feeds to a dispatcher who will prioritize your call and route it to an officer when he or she is free. So if there is an emergency somewhere else in the area, it may take some time before an officer is alerted to your call.
Remember, it only takes seconds to Park Smart!
FastCat is up and running! Buses are now running on a 15 minute loop around The District and into campus.
FastCAT route starts at 6:30 am and runs until 10 pm Sunday - Wednesday and until 2:30 am on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
There's an app for that! Coming soon! Track the bus right from your iPhone.
Wait, I have an Android! Good news, that's already up and running.
New downtown taxi stands. Make catching a cab home easier.
Hop on a bike! Google maps adds bike directions.
Thinking of commuting by bike? Learn how to be a confident city cyclist.